West Harlem Environmental Action Inc. a/k/a/WE ACT for Environmental Justice is a Northern Manhattan community-based, membership organization whose mission is to build healthy communities by ensuring that people of color and/or low income participate meaningfully in the creation of sound and fair environmental health and protection policies and practices. We use community organizing, community-based participatory research and evidence-based policy advocacy campaigns to create systemic policy change at the federal, state and local levels of government. WE ACT is locally and nationally known for its work on children's environmental health, community-driven climate resiliency, healthy homes campaigns government accountability, and community-based environmental health research partnerships.
WE ACT seeks a full-time State Legislative Manager to work closely with WE ACT’s Director of Policy to develop strategic, unified, and sustained advocacy to achieve equity in New York State policy and practice by influencing State executive, legislative and agency actions and by educating legislators/officials on toxic chemicals, healthy housing, climate/energy justice, environmental health policy and more. The analyst will lead advocacy efforts to implement State-level policies and programs that ultimately further environmental justice for Northern Manhattan communities and other environmental justice communities across the State. This position will report to WE ACT’ Director of Policy.
The State Legislative Manager works with other members of the policy team to advance WE ACT’s policy agenda at the local, state, regional and national level. The individual in the position defines and formulates WE ACT’s policy positions, builds broad-based support for these positions, and promotes WE ACT’s presence and the presence of an environmental justice perspective in policy formation.
· Develop and implement the organization’s public policy agenda based on existing priorities and ongoing consultations with WE ACT staff and key stakeholders in the environmental, environmental justice and environmental health movements;
· Lead and participate in policy-setting forums and government relations activities;
· Provide strategic advice on public policy issues to the Executive Director, Director of Policy, and other WE ACT staff;
· Strengthen and support the overall public policy development capacity of the organization and the community we serve;
· Monitor and provide strategic advice, briefings, and recommendations on legislative change and policy issues at the State-level, with attention to federal and local policies as well;
· Lead or participate on task forces and collaborative initiatives to develop effective public policy solutions to systemic issues;
· Organize and lead community-based planning initiatives including facilitating workshops, developing planning materials, and strategically engaging in the public planning process to center community voices in the formation of WE ACT’s policies and programs;
· Identify and work with key partners to advance the organization’s public policy agenda;
· Address urgent policy issues as they arise;
· Build community and government awareness on key policy issues through public education, government relations, and media strategies;
· Create forums for dialogue with government officials, funders, agencies, and donors on topics impacting environment, environmental justice and environmental health in communities of color;
· Provide leadership to WE ACT programs/projects;
· Work on departmental and organizational teams and projects;
· Advise the organization about “sign-on” letters addressing policy issues;
· Monitor State legislation
West Harlem Environmental Action Inc. a/k/a/WE ACT for Environmental Justice is a Northern Manhattan community-based, membership organization whose mission is to build healthy communities by ensuring that people of color and/or low…
WE ACT, provides full medical benefits, dental and vision, there are also voluntary benefits. We also provide 401k/403B for you to participate in via pre tax contribution. Pretax MetroCard benefit also available.
WE ACT, provides full medical benefits, dental and vision, there are also voluntary benefits. We also provide 401k/403B for you to participate in via pre tax contribution. Pretax…
Spanish a plus
Spanish a plus