JOIN OUR TEAM SUPPORTING LANGUAGE ACCESS & JUSTICE
Respond Crisis Translation is a global network of over 2000 translators, interpreters and languages activists who provide compassionate, trauma-informed interpretation and translation services for migrants, refugees, and anyone experiencing language barriers.
Outreach to translators/interpreters for languages whose teams continue to be relatively small, specifically Somali, Hmong, Amharic, Gujarati, Urdu, Burmese, Vietnamese, Tibetan, Tamil
- Creating connections with orgs or working with university language departments or are located in areas where there are folks who would want/need this work, and are native speakers and writers of those languages + near-native/native English
- We are looking for someone to support our volunteer outreach efforts. These people will continue to create new relationships with more organizations who work in and with key languages (Somali, Hmong, Amharic, Gujarati, Urdu, Burmese, Vietnamese, Tibetan, Tamil); we often get paid translation projects in these languages and want to make sure we have folks on the team to take on this (paid) work. This role will probably include reaching out to universities that have language departments or are located in areas where there are folks who want and need this work, and fulfill the qualifications, as well as organizations, non-profit, activist groups, who are mission and vision aligned with us. The people with this role do not need to speak those particular languages, however, it is helpful if they themselves understand why it’s so difficult to cover these language requests; this role will require the person or people to have excellent organizational skills, and feel comfortable doing outreach to organizations we do not currently have a relationship with. 2-4 hour commitment per week for 2-5 months, flexible.
Please send an email to email@example.com with:
- A general description of your professional experience and/or CV
- A few sentences about why you are interested in this particular role
- What you would like your commitment with Respond to look like, and why
- Which language(s) are your native languages and what is your experience with the other languages you speak / write / translate.
- If you’ve volunteered with Respond before and in which program