About 1 in 5 Houston adults is considered illiterate, having trouble in completing tasks such as filling out job applications. The goal of the Houston Adult Literacy Project is to build the capacity of adult education and literacy organizations in Houston, which support low-income, low literacy adult learners to help them to obtain and grow the skills they need to become self-sufficient and improve their qualities of life. The Chinese Community Center is a multi-ethnic organization serving all Houstonians. Our mission is to bridge East and West by enriching families with educational, cultural, and social service programs. We serve diverse cultures, diverse generations, and diverse needs. Our staff speaks English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, and Spanish. Act against adult illiteracy by serving with the Chinese Community Center as a Community Engagement VISTA!
Member Duties: As a Community Engagement VISTA, you will receive professional development training, tools, and an education award! The Community Engagement VISTA will play a vital role in developing and implementing an engagement plan that will build the Chinese Community Center’s capacity to serve the low-income-low literacy adult population. The VISTA will increase community engagement through strengthening communications strategies, defining audiences and constituencies to deliver impactful and engaging messages, participating in community events and meetings, and staying abreast of advocacy initiatives both on national and local levels.
Work Schedule: Full Time
· Choice of Education Award or End of Service Award upon successful completion of service
· Relocation Allowance if you qualify
· Health Coverage
· Living Allowance
· Possible forbearance or deferment of qualified student loans
· Child Care benefits if you qualify
· Noncompetitive eligibility status for federal employment for one year after successful completion
· Professional Training
· Permits attendance at school during off hours
· Permits working at another job during off hours
For details about AmeriCorps benefits, please visit https://americorps.gov/members-volunteers/vista/benefits
Applicants must hold one of the following citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens or is a person residing in a state that have the following legal residency classifications: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status, or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status. Applicants must be at least 18 or older and have a high school diploma or GED.
· Ability to work well collaboratively with a team
· Attention to detail
· Good organization and time management skills
· Ability to handle multiple projects at once
· Effective oral and written communication skills
· Experience with or interest in serving multicultural community members
· Bachelor’s degree
Do not apply through this platform. Please apply online at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=100241
This application checklist will help you collect all the information you need to apply.
For more information, email AmeriCorps@TheAllianceTX.org
About 1 in 5 Houston adults is considered illiterate, having trouble in completing tasks such as filling out job applications. The goal of the Houston Adult Literacy Project is to build the capacity of adult education and literacy…