Note: This position offers in-person and temporarily remote opportunities.
General Description : Volunteer tutors assist adult learners with literacy, numeracy or English language skills in a supportive environment. Tutors encourage and support students by helping them develop confidence and a positive attitude about education.
- Meet with student(s) weekly for 1:1 or small group tutoring sessions for 1.5 – 2 hours per week for a minimum of six months.
- Engage students in the decision-making process of developing an education plan and setting goals.
- Plan and design lessons and activities that support the students’ educational goals.
- Review and select appropriate instructional materials that reflect the students’ interests and levels.
- Maintain a positive and encouraging learning environment that acknowledges and celebrates the students’ progress.
- Complete and submit required paperwork, including attendance records, goal sheets, and student progress reports, in a timely manner.
- Maintain professional boundaries with students.
- Refer students to other HACC services, as needed, in consultation with the Adult Education Manager.
- Stay informed about Adult Education programming through the newsletter and other communications and participate in professional development activities of interest.
- Maintain in regular communication with the Volunteer Tutor Coordinator regarding your tutoring match.
- Respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner.
- Honor student confidentiality.
Qualifications: To perform the volunteer tutor responsibilities, an individual must:
- be at least 18 years of age;
- complete a 12-hour tutor training, and a 2 hour HACC orientation and classroom observation;
- be able to relate to individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds;
- have good listening, speaking, reading and writing skills;
- be dependable, prompt, flexible and patient.
Required Education and/or Experience: A minimum of a high school diploma or GED is required. Previous volunteer experience, especially working with adult learners, is helpful but not required.