The Department Volunteer Engagement Lead is responsible for overseeing volunteers serving in the department while working to provide and maintain a positive volunteer experience.
- Consults with department managers on position on-boarding, planned growth experiences, and volunteer career development
- Provides consultation, coaching an training resources to promote positive workforce relationships (employees with volunteers, volunteers with volunteers) and effective ongoing volunteer engagement.
- Follows up with volunteers and department managers to ensure proper placement and job satisfaction
- Consults with department managers regarding the leadership potential of volunteers and supports requesting department managers in developing leadership and advancement opportunities for volunteers
- Serves as the point of contact for reassignment or referring volunteers to other department positions, or if not a fit for the department of Volunteer Services.
- Connects supervisors of volunteers to Volunteers Services HR relations team for mediation and facilitation of volunteer grievance and performance related issues
- Leads ongoing discussions with requesting department managers about volunteer engagement cycle, roles and responsibilities working to identify what’s working and lessons learned
- Conducts exit interviews
- Works with team members to ensure the integration of their work with volunteer recruitment referrals and screening, recognition and Volunteer Connection
- Approximately 10 hours per month, working remotely and on-site
- Enthusiastic about Red Cross mission and program
- Proven leadership in nonprofit or for-profit organizations
- Cultural sensitivity to diverse audiences
- Knowledge and understanding of Red Cross services and operations and opportunities for volunteer service
- Works well both individually and with others
- Relevant, complementary management and/or technical skills/operational experience
- Relationship building skills, working collaboratively with staff partners as well as board members, senior management, and other volunteer partners as needed
- Understand the value of volunteers and provide leadership and support to ensure volunteers are productive and have a mutually rewarding experience.
- Red Cross employees, volunteers, donors and the public
Length of Appointment
- One year appointment, renewable annually based on satisfactory performance of positions
- Community advocacy and leadership
- Relationship building
- Enhance leadership and communication skills
- Interact with and meet a variety of people
- Team building with the Red Cross, volunteers and community partners
- Orientation to the Red Cross
- On the job training, as needed