As a Technical Writer, you will consult with product, engineering and technical staff to prepare technical and end user documentation for software. You will write accurate, engaging, user-friendly documentation that adheres to industry guidelines & best practices. The Technical Writer works under general direction of managers and senior team members.
- Prepare, review, revise, and maintain technical documents, including software and systems engineering, system operations, testing, and user documentation.
- Gather and analyze technical and product information from various sources to document new or changing product functionality.
- Write, format, edit, review, and proof procedural and technical information for technical and nontechnical users.
- Assist in planning, scheduling, and tracking documentation work to meet product release dates and client deliverables.
- Maintain a library of application documentation, cataloging it for internal and/or external use.
- Publish and maintain templates for written documentation produced by others (technical specifications, RFP responses, etc.), ensuring a consistent "look and feel."
- Scope includes revising printed and online documentation, including general overviews, tutorials, installation/configuration instructions, training class materials, and user manuals.
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, this position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you may be required to perform. The omission of specific descriptions of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or can be considered essential to this position.
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably in a technical field such as computer science or a focus on English, writing, or communications.
- 5-7 years of experience required in an IT development environment, and/or writing documentation of medium to high complexity for products and software.
- Experience in creating documentation for audiences with different levels of technical skill.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills, including ability to consult with subject matter experts from engineering, support, and product management.
- Attention to detail with a creative eye.
- Experience in presenting technical information in a live setting, such as classroom training, presentations, or video conference.
- Exposure to any documentation publishing software
Why volunteer with us?
We are a community of people from different parts of the world who share a common belief in improving education which will eventually reduce poverty and improve the quality of life and living conditions globally. Volunteering with us will enable you to build your resume and gain invaluable experience in a supportive environment.
- In the USA, School Group is a Certifying Organization, offering the President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) to eligible volunteers.
- School Group will provide a letter of recommendation to all volunteers who are able to showcase outstanding performance for professional references.
This is a volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation. Our organization is 100% volunteer-run. We welcome volunteers located anywhere in the world, as long as they can connect reliably to the internet.