The Shelter Service Associate is a temporary position assigned to work in person in a Red Cross shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event this hurricane/wildfire season. Shelter Service Associates complete tasks necessary for shelter operations and provide assistance for disaster clients. Shelter Service Associates support the day-to-day activities within a shelter which may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information, or other areas within a shelter
* Following worker safety procedures for working in a COVID environment
* Embodying the fundamental principles of the American Red Cross in their work with clients, disaster responders and partners
* Providing excellent client service and support the daily maintenance of the shelter operation at the direction of the assigned Shelter Supervisor
* Using the Shift Tool during the disaster event to report availability and schedule shelter shifts
* Completing the required virtual self-paced training (3 hours of training total)
Local: Minimum of 5 days working 4-, 6- or 12-hour shifts
Beyond region: MINIMUM OF ``14 DAY WORKING 8-12 HOUR SHIFTS WHILE DEPLOYED DURING DISASTER
***The Red Cross will cover travel, lodging and meals while volunteer is deployed during disaster relief efforts***
Required for those available for 14 days beyond their region only. Travel may be outside of home state.
* Ability to build appropriate and effective relationships with co-workers and shelter residents.
* Ability to support and correct performance, manage conflict and ask for help early on so that workflow and service delivery does not impact shelter residents or the shelter community.
* Demonstrates clear, concise, and effective written and verbal communication.
* Lift / carry 20 lbs. multiple times/shift.
* Stand and or sit for two-hour periods and walk for two miles during a shift.
* Walk on uneven terrain.
* Work outdoors in inclement weather, extreme heat and/or humidity and/or extreme cold.
* Climb two or more flights of stairs.
* Speak clearly on phone and in person.
* Work for long periods on computer and/or reading small print and/or writing.
* Drive in daytime and at night
* Minimum 18 years of age
* Willing and able to volunteer in person in a COVID -19 disaster shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event
* Availability to sign up for shifts on consecutive days (shifts may be 4, 8 or 12 hours long)
* Willing to complete 3 hours of virtual self-paced training required for position
The Shelter Service Associate is a temporary position assigned to work in person in a Red Cross shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event this hurricane/wildfire season. Shelter Service Associates complete tasks necessary for…