LeGaL was one of the nation's first bar associations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) legal community and remains one of the largest and most active organizations of its kind in the country. Serving the New York metropolitan area, LeGaL is dedicated to promoting the expertise and advancement of LGBT legal professionals while serving the larger community.
Through the LeGaL Foundation, the organization publishes Lesbian/Gay Law Notes, the most comprehensive monthly publication summarizing legal developments affecting the LGBT community here and abroad, conducts a weekly walk-in pro bono clinic at Manhattan's LGBT Community Center serving hundreds of individuals each year, a twice mothly clinic in Brooklyn, a monthly clinic on Long Island, a collaborative Life Planning Clinic with NYLAG's LGBT Law Project, sponsors the Dr. M.L. Hank Henry, Jr. Fund for Judicial Fellowships and, among its many other activities, runs the area's only career fair dedicated to first-year LGBT law students. For more information on LeGaL, visit le-gal.org.
Some of What We Do
• Weekly Walk-In Clinic. For more than two decades, LeGaL has operated a walk-in clinic at the LGBT Center in Manhattan connecting visitors with volunteer attorneys and pro bono resources throughout the City. The clinic sees hundreds of people annually.
• Dr. M.L. "Hank" Henry Jr. Fund for Judicial Internships. Entering its 15th year, this one-of-a-kind summer internship programs places law students with a demonstrated interest in, and commitment to LGBT rights with judges from our community. The program was established in memory of Dr. Henry, whose groundbreaking work encouraged openly lesbian and gay lawyers to seek and achieve judicial office in New York City.
• Judicial screening panels. LeGaL's Judiciary Committee rates local judicial candidates to ensure a diverse judiciary responsive to the needs of all our diverse communities.
• Lesbian/Gay Law Notes. This comprehensive monthly publication reports on LGBT and AIDS/HIV legal developments including significant new legislation, court decisions, administrative rulings, and executive actions.
• Lawyer Referral Service. LeGaL connects hundreds of community members each year with attorneys familiar with the needs of our community.
• Law Student Career Fair. LeGaL sponsors one of the area's only career fairs targeted specifically towards first-year law students from the LGBT community.
• Mentoring program. LeGaL pairs experienced attorneys with interested law students and younger attorneys for career mentoring and advice.
LeGaL was one of the nation's first bar associations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) legal community and remains one of the largest and most active organizations of its kind in the country. Serving the New York metropolitan…