A. Mission and Purpose
Welcome to Idealist. We provide tools for people and eligible organizations interested in bridging the gap between intention and action to do more good in the world.
B. Scope and Intent
These terms of service (“Terms of Service“) are by and between Action Without Borders, Inc. a.k.a., “Idealist,” and its affiliates (“Idealist”, “we” or “us“) and you (“User” or “you“). They govern your access to and use of any content, support and functionality offered by Idealist, including your use of our Services and Sites (both as defined below). Your use of Idealist’s Services or Sites (collectively, our “Offerings“), whether as a guest or a registered user indicate your acceptance of this Agreement.
As a User:
- if you are an individual, you affirm that you are of legal age to form a binding contract with Idealist and meet all of the foregoing eligibility requirements. If you are an individual under 13 years old, you must obtain the consent of your parent or legal guardian to use our Offerings;
- if you are an organization, you affirm that you are a nonprofit or community organization, a social enterprise, a government agency (other than a military or intelligence agency), or a business that provides services to nonprofits or government agencies, such as a recruiting firm or consultant or vendor; and/or
- whether an individual or an organization, you shall not to engage in violence, illegal activity, discrimination, or hate while using or otherwise in association with Idealist or its Offerings, as further outlined in Section II(D).
If you do not agree with this Agreement, you should not use, register for, access, or view our Offerings.
D. Our Sites and Services
Idealist offers some of the Services through our websites, which includes but shall not be limited to www.idealist.org, www.idealistcareers.org, www.idealistvolunteering.org, www.blog.es.idealist.org, www.act.idealist.org, or www.idealistgradschool.org (each a “Site,” collectively the “Sites“).
Idealist offers a collection of services (the “Services”) to help connect people and organizations around the world, through our Sites, our mobile applications (“Mobile App”), Events, or emails. These Services include, without limitation:
(1) Idealist’s Organization Database. The organization database (the “Organizational Database”) contains information about (i) nonprofit organizations, community groups, social enterprises, government agencies, recruiters, and consultants and vendors from around the world (collectively, “Organization” or generally, a “User”); and (ii) volunteer opportunities, jobs, and internships, among other things.
If you are the administrator of an Organization, you can submit job openings, volunteer opportunities, internships, or other information that can be posted on or through the Offerings and stored in the Organization Database (each a “Listing”). A publisher may not post a job listing for which the compensation is primarily commission-based.
Anyone can search and access the Organization Database for information about Organizations and Listings. Searches can be narrowed or expanded by adding and removing search terms, and/or by clicking on field values suggested by our system. More specific search query terms can be included to conduct more advanced searches. At any point in a search, a particular set of search terms can be saved for later reuse.
(2) Idealist’s Individual User Accounts. If you are an individual (“Individual User” or generally, a “User”), you may create and submit an account to give you access to certain features of our various Offerings. You can opt to receive and customize email alerts with information about Listings, or events by organizations or individuals through our Offerings. You can also save Listings, choose to receive occasional updates about Idealist events (“Events”) and Services, and other notifications. As an Individual User, you may also enter into groups (“Groups”) wherein you and other Users may share ideas and plan gatherings with local volunteering projects or agendas (“Idealist Day Events”).
Idealist’s Individual User accounts may also contain additional information voluntarily submitted by the User including: (i) personal information; (ii) interests and preferences; (iii) skills of the individuals; (iv) schedules and locations of the individuals; and (v) other relevant information. Organizations may search and access certain Idealist databases to find Individual Users based on name, location, and other keywords, to find Individual Users who are looking for specific jobs, volunteer opportunities, friends/collaborators, or clients.
A Site may contain message boards, personal web pages or profiles, forums, bulletin boards, and other interactive features (collectively, “Interactive Services“) that allow Organizations, Individual Users, and Groups to post, submit, publish, display or transmit to other Organizations, Individual Users, or other persons (hereinafter, “post“) content or materials (collectively, “Contributions“) on or through our Offerings.
(3) Idealist Email Communication. From time to time, Idealist may send email communication to Individual Users, Organizations, and Groups in connection with their use of our Services. Organizations may receive email communication from Idealist in conjunction with their Listings, such as an email confirmation that the Listing has gone live. Organizations may also receive informational emails describing how to use our Services, or on related topics such as human resources and hiring policies. Individuals Users may receive email communication reminding them of events they’ve signed up for, or Listing recommendations based on their interests and searches. Individual Users who create Groups may also receive email communication relevant to their Group, as well as other tools and resources at their disposal in the Services. Idealist may also send email communication updating you of the latest features we’ve added to our Services.
(4) Idealist Mobile Application. The Mobile App brings the power of our Services to the palm of your hand. The Mobile App allows Individual Users to connect with other Individual Users in the same area who share similar community objectives. Individual Users can then organically organize Idealist Day Events, or simply meet up to share ideas on how to volunteer together. The Mobile App also offers other resources linked to our Sites, such as job searching guides, career development guides, and more. From time to time, Individual Users who consent through the Mobile App may receive pop-up notifications to their mobile device.
(5) The Applicant Tracking System (“ATS” or “ATS Services”) . Our ATS is a free & light-weight management system for qualifying incoming applicants and tracking general job listing performance for jobs, internships, and other volunteer opportunities.
(6) Other Resources. The Offerings may contain a variety of other resources, including mobile applications, blog entries, and guides, for:
- job seekers and nonprofit professionals;
- people interested in graduate school;
- individuals who wish to start their own community projects or connect with other members; and
- potential volunteers.
II. YOUR RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS
Idealist provides Offerings for the benefit of the world-at-large, connecting people and organizations to turn good intentions into action. However, as in most community-focused environments, progress only occurs if everyone cooperates and abides by the rules. These Terms of Service define the obligations that you agree to adopt in exchange for the right to use our Offerings.
A. Applicable Laws and this Agreement
You agree to comply with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, judicial authorities, subpoenas, investigative demands, or similar processes (collectively “Laws”) and this Agreement, and to review and comply with notices sent by Idealist concerning our Offerings.
B. Content and Ownership
The majority of the content made available by Idealist is generated and posted by Organizations and Individual Users. Our mission is to provide a safe space so that no opportunity for action or collaboration is wasted and no connection is missed. However, we consider it to be the responsibility of all Users to help make the Idealist ecosystem a safe and trusted place.
You agree to use our Offerings in a professional manner and, within the Idealist environment, to help build a world where all people can live free and dignified lives.
EACH ORGANIZATION AND INDIVIDUAL USER OWNS AND IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTRIBUTIONS THAT IT/S/HE POSTS ON OR THROUGH OUR OFFERINGS, INCLUDING CONTRIBUTIONS THAT IT/S/HE PUBLISHES AND MAKES AVAILABLE FOR OTHER USERS TO VIEW.
(1) Representations and Warranties. All Contributions of Organizations and Individual Users must comply with the content standards set out in this Agreement.
Any Contribution, whether by an Organization or Individual User, posted to the Site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. Subject to this Agreement, by providing any Contribution on the Site, you grant us and our affiliates and service providers, and each of their and our respective licensees, successors and assigns the limited, non-exclusive right to use, reproduce, modify, perform, display, distribute and otherwise disclose to third parties any such material for any purpose/according to your account settings.
You understand, acknowledge, represent and warrant that:
- The Contribution you submit is accurate and lawful. It is solely your, and not Idealist’s, responsibility to ensure the accuracy, reliability, appropriateness, and legality of your submitted content and to update that Contribution as appropriate.
- You own or control all rights in and to your Contributions and have the right to grant the license granted above.
- All of your Contributions do and will comply with this Agreement and applicable Law. The posting of a Contribution is not in violation of any contractual restrictions or other third party rights.
- Idealist is not responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or lawfulness, reliability, appropriateness, or accuracy of any Contributions posted by you or any other User of our Offerings.
(2) Consent License and Use of Content.
All Contributions, whether by an Organization or Individual User that are published on or through our Offerings reach thousands of registered Users both through our Offerings, including via email alerts. These Contributions may also be accessed by individuals not registered with Idealist when, for example, they receive information forwarded to them by someone else or if you make such information visible to Internet users outside of Idealist.
In order for you to share your Contributions with others, Idealist may need both your consent and license to use and reproduce your Contributions, in whole or in part, in, on or through our Offerings. Idealist’s use of your personal information is subject to our EU GDPR Policy. We ask that you see our EU GDPR Policy for further details. We also require a license to reproduce any information you share to or through our Offerings. By submitting, posting or displaying any content to, on or through our Offerings, you agree to grant Idealist a non-exclusive, worldwide, assignable, sub-licensable, and royalty-free right that permits us to copy, distribute, publish, remove, retain, and use your content or information, in whole or in part, without any further notice or compensation for the sole purpose of enabling Idealist to provide the Offerings in accordance with this Agreement.
With the objective of reaching more people and facilitating connections, subject to our EU GDPR Policy, you hereby grant Idealist the right to share your Contributions from our Offerings with our partner and third-party supplier sites. In addition, and subject to our EU GDPR Policy, information published on or through our Offerings may become public information at the time of its distribution on other sites, via email alerts, RSS feeds, search engines, and other social media tools.
Furthermore, by submitting or posting Contributions, whether by Organizations or Individual Users, on or through our Offerings, you agree to provide other users with a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No-Derivatives 3.0 License governing such content, which is incorporated by reference herein and can be read in full at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/legalcode. You also agree to comply with the terms of this license when using other Users’ content. This license permits our other Users to download and share content from our Offerings, which may incorporate your personal information and Contribution, provided that they properly attribute the work to the author, do not alter it in any way, and do not copy or use the work for commercial purposes.
Attribution for your Contribution may be subject to our EU GDPR Policy. Please do not place other’s personal information into any Contribution without the express consent of the owner of such personal information, with such consent being fully transferable to idealist, its partners and third-party suppliers. You shall be fully responsible for any unauthorized personal information you put on or in Idealist Offerings, releasing Idealist from any and all liability for such acts or omissions by you.
(3) User-to-User Communication and Sharing.
Our Offerings include various spaces, forums and blogs where you can post your observations and comments on designated topics. Idealist cannot guarantee that other Users will not use the ideas and information that you share. Therefore, if you have an idea or information that you would like to keep confidential and/or do not want others to use, do not post it on or through our Offerings.
Our reporting system allows registered Users to report posted content that violates Idealist’s Mission and Purpose (see Section I(A)) and this Agreement. To ensure the quality and appropriateness of our Offerings’ content, Idealist reserves the right to remove any Contribution for any reason, including violations of this Agreement, or any applicable Laws (including, without limitation, Laws protecting the safety, security, and privacy of others, intellectual property and employment rights).
Our staff receives a notice each time a Contribution is reported or “flagged” and that Contribution may be immediately removed from any Offering. We then determine whether the reported Contribution does in fact violate our Mission and Purpose or other parts of this Agreement, and will take appropriate action to resolve the issue, the nature of such action depending on the particular circumstances at issue. Users who feel that their content has been modified or removed in error may contact us here. Subject to applicable Law, under certain conditions, we may, at our discretion (but under no obligation), restore deleted material, or contact the offending User to request changes, amendments, or deletion of their “flagged” Contribution.
You may request that Idealist delete any Contribution that you have provided on or through the Offerings. With regard to any Contribution you have shared with other Users that they have subsequently copied or stored, Idealist may be unable to delete such Contribution from the locations those Users have copied or stored it.