Engage. Improve. Innovate.
The Empowering Males of Color initiative is an aligned effort by the District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) to identify and assess current challenges and successes of PK–12 African-American and Latino males. We will collaborate with the community, as well as school & district leaders to implement effective strategies to enhance the student experience, increase achievement, and prepare our males of color for college, careers, and life beyond DCPS.
Over the next three years, DCPS will dedicate $20 million to this effort, which will help our males of color to:
• Improve early literacy rates
• Increase in seat attendance
• Increase enrollment in Advanced Placement courses
• Improve graduation rates
• Increase student satisfaction
• Increase college acceptance and persistence
• Prepare students for high-wage, high-growth careers