Vision: Ethical discourse and action advance the health and dignity of all persons.
Mission: To raise and respond to ethical issues in health and healthcare.
Core Value: Respect for human dignity
- We believe that all persons have intrinsic worth.
- We promote and protect the interests of those who can and cannot speak for themselves.
- We commit to the just delivery of healthcare.
Our Guiding Principles: To be unfettered by special interests. To listen actively, think critically, and act wisely. To lead and promote the leadership of others. To collaborate with those who commit to civil discourse. To work diligently toward our mission
The Center concentrates its work in five areas:
• Improving Advance Care Planning & Shared Decision Making
• Changing Chronic Pain Treatment
• Achieving Patient-Centered Outcomes
• Expanding Bioethics Education and Consultation
• Advancing Diversity, Fairness and Justice in Healthcare
The Center’s unique practical approach makes a difference by:
• Using the tools of ethics, based on the principles of philosophy and ethics developed over centuries
• Seizing opportunities to advance awareness of issues and causes
• Bringing diverse, multi-disciplinary groups together to work collaboratively
• Finding common ground through public and professional education, consumer and clinical consultation, research, publications, public engagement and advocacy