Sharing the Dream in Guatemala
Sharing the Dream in Guatemala is a volunteer-based fair trade organization that reduces poverty in Guatemala through collaborative partnerships with Guatemalans.
Sharing the Dream began in 1996 with the dream of promoting sustainable fair trade by providing fair wages and employment opportunities to low-income artisans. We work with more than 20 cooperatives and small businesses around Guatemala that use traditional Maya techniques to create unique, handmade products. The purchase of these crafts not only provides an income for these artisans, it also supports community development projects in Guatemala.
Our ongoing projects include:
· Artisan Development — Provides workshops and ongoing educational opportunities for artisans to help them to improve their products and find new markets.
· Elder Center — Feeds and provides medical care for 65 Maya elders in Santiago Atitlan and surrounding communities
· Educational scholarships for elementary, middle and high school students
· Financial support for a medical center and a health promoter in the jungle
· Maintaining an inn for volunteers, tour groups and locals
We also support community based projects that vary according to the needs of the community such as: water, roofs, floors and stoves.
Sharing the Dream in Guatemala (Asociación Compartiendo Sueños en Guatemala) is a registered Guatemalan organization. Our partner organization, Friends of Sharing the Dream is a 501(c)(3) organization that accepts donations to support our projects, artisans and their families. 100% of our donations return to Guatemala to help advance our projects and mission. Sharing the Dream emphasizes creating equal relationships with Guatemalans and strives to promote education, independence and innovation in all of our projects.
Jewelry Group Volunteer (Volunteer Opportunity)