The Anchor House
Mission of the Anchor House:
To provide a safe and supportive community where single moms and their children can receive holistic healing and restored strength.
Our Family Approach
In The Anchor House, we incorporate a unique approach. We live in community; our moms and house parents share a home and live life alongside one another.
Parenting, by design, is meant to be experienced in the context of family, our home offers a dynamic and vibrant family life. In our community lifestyle-we share food and eat meals together, we all participate in chores, we help each other in times of need and celebrate achievements. Living at The Anchor House is like being part of a family. Every woman and their children will also have the social and spiritual support from The Anchor Community as an extended family to lean on and be encouraged by.
Each member of the community, regardless of their role, is hopefully profoundly changed by the experience. The Anchor House has up to 4 moms and their children, in addition to 2 house parents living on site.
The Anchor House Details
A safe and supportive place for single mom’s and their children to receive healing and restoration.
The Anchor House serves pregnant women and single moms that are in need of a loving and supportive community. The Anchor House provides support and assistance to pregnant and single mothers to help develop the appropriate skills to recover from poverty, homelessness, and difficult circumstances. Each mom has a personalized goal-setting program designed for her family to become self-sufficient and break out of the cycle of poverty. Women must be pregnant or have at least 1 child in their custody (under age of 5) and can stay for up to 1 year.
Family Eligibility Requirements:
- Over 18 years of age
- Free from drugs/alcohol abuse for 30 days
- Women must be pregnant and/or have at least one child in custody
- Children must be 5 years of age or under
- Be willing to have 40 hours a week of productive activity (e.g., job searching, GED classes, life skills classes)
- Be willing to be held accountable to the rules and reaching your goals
- Be willing to save 70% of your income while living in the home (savings account will serve as a “Moving Forward” fund when family is ready to transition on their own)
To assist our moms in overcoming their obstacles and meeting their goals, The Anchor House provides the following resources to our moms at no charge:
- A nurturing and stable home environment and nutritious food
- Maternity and infant supplies
- Weekly mentoring and Christ centered discipleship
- Bus passes and assistance with transportation
- Support, encouragement, and accountability by full-time, live-in house parents
- A savings program in which women must save 70% of any income they receive while living at The Anchor House
- Life skills courses on topics such as childbirth, healthy nutrition, jobs training, budgeting, communication, and child rearing
- Referrals to community agencies/programs including Alcoholics/Narcotics Anonymous, parenting classes, adoption counseling, job training, and low-cost housing
- Access to education programs including high school equivalency, community colleges, and vocational training through referrals and a scholarship program
- Knowledge of the state programs including health insurance, day care subsidies, food stamps, child support, and cash assistance
- Informal modeling of healthy family life including conflict resolution, facilitating decisions for the common good, upholding expectations and consequences as needed, and celebrating goals achieved