If you find that you don’t have as much time as you’d like to keep up with the latest nonprofit trends or professional development topics, social-impact podcasts can be a portable and flexible solution.
To help you listen, learn, and find inspiration on the go, here are a variety of podcasts to download for your next break, commute, or snowy day on the couch.
Hear from social innovators and entrepreneurs
When you want to stay current on issues in the social-innovation space or hear directly from change-makers, consider streaming or subscribing to these podcasts:
- Stanford Social Innovation Review Podcasts: In addition to online and print articles, the Stanford Social Innovation Review also publishes TED-talk-style podcast recordings on a wide selection of social-change issues. You’ll find an archive of podcasts from summits and lecture series that gather experts on various topics such as social entrepreneurship, disaster response, and energy efficiency.
- Impact Boom: This weekly podcast features interviews with social-change leaders from around the world. Interviews fall into a few main categories around social impact including design, social innovation and entrepreneurship, education, finance, and policy. If you have interest in reading a transcript of a particular interview, each episode is also accompanied by a blog post. Pro Tip: Impact Boom is open to receiving and sharing stories from its community of listeners. Visit the site to submit your own impact story.
- Social Entrepreneur: Hosted by Tony Loyd, the Social Entrepreneur podcast collects insights from social entrepreneurs from a range of backgrounds and issue areas. You’ll hear about their social enterprises and get some great advice, too!
Up your productivity and effectiveness
If you're interested in learning about new tools for general productivity as well nonprofit-specific resources and best practices, here are a few podcasts to keep in mind:
- Beyond The To-Do List: This is a resource for anyone who strives to stay productive and find fulfillment. Host Erik Fisher interviews productivity experts like Gretchen Rubin about strategies for getting work done and leading fulfilling lives in the process. Pro Tip: In nearly every episode you’ll walk away with a new idea or productivity tool.
- Nonprofit Hub Radio from Nonprofit Hub: Also dubbed “hubcasts,” monthly episodes feature tips and tricks aimed specifically at nonprofit communications and advancement pros. Tune in to hear the latest about end-of-year fundraising, engaging influencers in campaigns, and donor communications.
- Nonprofit Ally: The Nonprofit Ally podcast delivers advice from development experts working in the nonprofit sector as consultants, fundraisers, and directors. You’ll find tips on community engagement, email marketing, and even relationship building.
- Raise + Engage Podcast from Blackbaud: If you want informal and direct advice from real-life nonprofit pros on topics from donor engagement to how to be an effective manager, give the Raise + Engage podcast a listen.
Find inspiration for your own organization
When you’re looking for general inspiration to spark an idea for your own organization, try this podcast:
- Nonprofit Optimist: If you’ve ever wanted the inside scoop from nonprofit pros, check out the Nonprofit Optimist. Listen to success stories and encouragement from leaders at small nonprofits who are starting, running, and expanding their organizations.
Did you enjoy this post? There's plenty more where this came from! Subscribe here for updates.
About the Author | Yoona Wagener is a freelance writer and WordPress developer who believes in the value of nonlinear career paths. She has experience in academic publishing, teaching English abroad, serving up customer support to software end users, writing online help documentation, and mission-driven nonprofit marketing and communications.