Lift a Village, Inc.
Our mission is to provide opportunities that aid in making quality education accessible and equitable for children in African villages, slums, and other deprived communities.
Lift a Village is a grassroot organization based in the United States that funds the education and care of underprivileged children in Sierra Leonean villages and slums. Since 2014, we have provided more than 400 disadvantaged children ages 6-18, from kindergarten to 12th grade, with a personal education program tailored specifically to their needs. This holistic approach enables children to break the cycle of poverty and reach their full potential. To effectively serve our targeted population, the organization focuses on the following critical areas:
- Raising global awareness about education in Africa.
- Providing means for securing children’s education and the essentials for self-empowerment/improvement.
- Increasing the number of qualified teachers/professionals in schools.
- Improving learning conditions in classrooms and outside the classroom
- Establishing extracurricular activities in schools and recreational facilities in communities.
- Promoting well-being, community empowerment, and sustainability.
Throughout the 8 areas we support: Makeni, Port Loko, Kono, Gbinti, Kabala, Bo, Kenema, and Freetown, each child is provided with the following support:
- Access to the highest standard of education and care regardless of their socioeconomic status.
- Tuition assistance, school supplies, school uniforms, hygiene products, and other needed items for schooling.
- Breakfast every morning on school campuses.
- Transportation services for children residing over three miles away from school.
- Access to our satellite Scholar’s Centers where they will receive lunch, homework assistance, tutoring, extra curricula activities, skills enhancement classes, job readiness, and financial literacy.
- Mentoring services with our peer mentors with whom they can consult about daily problems in school and at home.
Through our efforts, we strive to make it possible for children to lay hold of the tools they need to succeed academically and in life. Our personal and holistic approach does not only transform the lives of the children we serve, it also empowers their communities.
Every year, our Founder and Executive Director and a team of volunteers travel directly to each and every village and slum and interact with children, educators, and community leaders to personally conduct needs assessments and propose solutions. This approach is what Aisha calls the “Lift a Village Promise” to assure donors that every donation whether monetary or in-kind goes directly to the programs and intended beneficiaries. In addition, we also provide direct outcome reports to donors and seek feedback from communities we serve how to improve our impact.
Do you work for Lift a Village, Inc.? Become an administrator