DC Abortion Fund
The DC Abortion Fund is an all-volunteer, 501(c)(3) nonprofit that makes grants to pregnant people in the DC area, as well as those traveling to the area, who cannot afford the full cost of an abortion. DCAF is the only organization in the DC region that focuses solely on providing this service in our community.
We face a multitude of state and national restrictions designed to deny access to abortion care. These restrictions disproportionately affect low-income people. We hope to make “choice” a reality because we believe a person’s right to health care should not depend on her wallet.
How We Work
DCAF case managers work directly with area clinics and funds around the country to provide small grants that fill the gap between what patients can afford and the full cost of their procedure. To date, we have never turned away a single person who was eligible for DCAF funding.
We have 13 volunteer board members who oversee DCAF’s work. The board supervises our case managers who continually operate three lines, one for each of our jurisdictions. We also have volunteers to help with organizing events and campaigns that raise money for the small grants we disburse.
The DC Abortion Fund’s vision is to make reproductive choice a reality.
The DC Abortion Fund exists to make reproductive choice a reality by providing financial support for individuals of any age who lack resources to access abortion care.
The DC Abortion Fund affirms:
- Our patients are the decision makers of their lives.
- No individual should be denied one’s reproductive rights because of politicized barriers.
- As a member of the abortion care community, we strive to offer respect and assistance in our services.
- We value accountability to our patients, supporters, volunteers, and community partners.
- We value the importance of grassroots volunteer efforts to our community and its people.
DCAF recognizes that every person who calls our helpline, as well as every volunteer and supporter, has a unique background and situation. We strive to serve everyone who contacts us regardless of: gender identity, race, age, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, religion, ability, place of origin, citizenship, and all other physical or social defining factors. DCAF is committed to recognizing, addressing, and working with all of these identities to the best of our ability.
DCAF believes in fully embodying the pro-choice principle by:
- Offering an equitable distribution of financial assistance through grants to clinics on behalf of our clients;
- Raising awareness in the DC area about how abortion restrictions – like the Hyde Amendment which limits or forbids Medicaid coverage of abortion services – harm our reproductive health and are linked to a rollback of women’s rights.