The global crisis asks for global solutions. Solutions which cannot come from those who have caused the crisis, that have accepted it or have taken advantage of it. Therefore, it is necessary to redefine the rules of the game. The system has to favour the common good, that is to say provide sustainable coverage of the basic needs for all the world’s population. It is time to generate a world habitable for everybody.
Barcelona Consensus was born in opposition and as an alternative to the Washington Consensus which defines the essence of the neoliberal economic agenda sharedy by the establishment around the world (World Bank, IMF, governments, US congress and senate, banks, multinationals and lobbies). It has been a relentless political project that has developed and continues developing the world in favour of privileged minorities.
Barcelona Consensus works on the following seven transitions through supporting and coordinating international activities (ACT!) and through transition circles:
- A participatory and deliberative democracy
- Environmental sustainability
- A social, equitable and sustainable economy
- A non-speculative financial system
- A society of shared knowledge and democratic communication
- A world beyond war and violence
- A democratic world governance