Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School (KLS) is an independent lab school located in Mountain View, California. It is a start-up school founded in 2014 with the goal of testing and documenting practices that push thinking around what school could be and what young people are capable of. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in the school are outlined in Salman Khan’s book The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
In the fall of 2016, KLS will serve 95 students ages 5-14. Our teachers provide small group or one-on-one mentorship for a self paced, mastery-based curriculum, and co-create applied learning experiences for students. We believe that children should have ownership of their learning and we give children the freedom to make mistakes, fail, iterate, and find satisfaction in the quest for learning itself.
The mission of the school is to develop fully empowered future citizens by pioneering models that put the learner at the center of the education experience.
Our Core Values are:
- We believe learning is not bound by time or space.
- We use a variety of tools to create a holistic, real-time view of each child.
- Feedback from all stakeholders is used to continuously improve on the school model.
- The entire community is part of our learning environment that we learn from and contribute to.
- We surround students with the resources and time for them to fully actualize their interests and ambitions.