Princeton University Concerts
The first concert in what is know today as the Princeton University Concerts was presented on October 29, 1894, thus establishing one of the oldest continuous series of musical events in the country. From 1894 to 1914, the "Ladies Music Committee" presented concerts by the Kneisel Quartet. After 1914, the program diversified. In 1929, the Ladies Committee became the Princeton University Concerts Committee — a town and gown group of interested and knowledgable music lovers — which has guided the University Concerts to date. In the 1985-86 season, the concerts moved to Richardson Auditorium in Alexander Hall, the University's beautifully renovated concert hall with superb acoustics. In its 117-year history the series has presented may of the classical music world's most important musicians, including violinist Isaac Stern, cellist Yo-Yo Ma, the Budapest String Quartet and pianist Vladimir Ashkenazy.