National Geographic Society / National Park Service BioBlitz
Research, Conservation & Exploration Division
1145 17th St. NW
Sponsored by the National Geographic Society in partnership with the National Park Service, the BioBlitz is a 24-hour event where teams of scientists, naturalists, community leaders, students and volunteers will join forces to discover and inventory the biodiversity of a different urban National Park each year running up to the 2016 Centennial of the National Park Service.
The National Geographic Society's mission is to:
1. Increase and diffuse geographic knowledge in its broadest sense:
- the description of land, sea and universe
- the relationship of humans with the flora and fauna of the earth
- and the historical, cultural, scientific, and social background of people.
2. To conduct and assist investigation, research and exploration in any branch of science.
3. To encourage the experience and knowledge of other cultures and lands.
Supporting Exploration, Education, and Conservation Since 1888.