Ambassador John L. Loeb Jr. Visitors Center at Touro Synagogue
The Loeb Visitors Center at the Touro Synagogue is an educational center dedicated to the history of religious liberty in America which began in Rhode Island in 1643 with a royal contract signed by Roger Williams and John Clark with the English king Charles II and ultimately led 148 years later to America's Bill of Rights in 1791.
A subtext of the center's educational mission is the contributions of early American Jewish citizens to the enhancement of religious liberty for all Americans with special concentration given to the famed George Washington Letter to the Hebrew Congregation of Newport in 1790.
The final focus of the Visitors Center is the architectural and historical significance of the Touro Synagogue itself, designed in 1763 by colonial architect Peter Harrison.