Women's Action for New Directions
Women’s Action for New Directions is a national nonprofit organization which seeks to empower women to act politically to reduce violence and militarism and to redirect excessive military resources toward unmet human and environmental needs. WAND was founded in 1982 as Women's Action for Nuclear Disarmament. With the end of the Cold War, we became Women's Action for New Directions, and have been dedicating our energies to redirect federal budget priorities away from the military and toward human needs as well as ensuring that women are at the tables of power where decisions are made concerning U.S. engagement on matters of peace and security. WAND is headquartered Washington, DC.
- Our goals are to:
- Challenge and promote alternatives to militarism and violence as the solution to conflict.
- Shift from a military to a civilian-based economy to address the threats to our real security, ensuring that human, economic and environmental needs are met.
- Clean up environmental effects of nuclear weapons production as well as toxic waste at all military facilities, and prevent further contamination.
- Eliminate the testing, production, sale and use of weapons of mass destruction.
- Prevent violence against women.
- Increase women's political leadership to further WAND's goals
- Empower women as leaders on critical issues of conflict prevention, peace-building and national and global security
WAND operates two nonprofit organizations with one united vision. WAND Education Fund is a 501 (c)(3) organization which creates educational materials for training and briefing individuals, elected leaders, and the media. WAND Inc. is a 501(c)(4) organization comprised of our Action Center, members, and chapters.
Do you work for Women's Action for New Directions? Become an administrator