Access For Action Uganda
ACFA Uganda emerged as a result of informal discussions and sharing of experiences between disabled and non-disabled youth who then were attending training at the Institute of Adult and Community Education, Makerere University in 2009. The disabled participants testified to the extent the development effort had failed to respond to the development needs of the disabled and other vulnerable groups. One of the reasons for the lack of attention was attributed to inadequate appreciation of the role and impact that this distinct vulnerable population—people with disabilities and other vulnerable youth—had on advancing the development process.
In February 2009, a defining moment in the structuring of the ACFA Uganda was the establishment of the Working Group composed of representative members from the marginalized youthful groups. Since the original initiative, ACFA Uganda has evolved into a legally registered Non-governmental organisation under the Non-governmental organization’s Registration Statute 1989. And it is incorporated under the companies Act, Cap. 110 as a company limited by Guarantee; to combat the social and economic exclusion and impoverishment of the marginalized groups in Uganda.
The Objective of ACFA Uganda is to combat the social and economic exclusion and impoverishment of the marginalized groups and their families in Uganda. To achieve this Objective, ACFA Uganda works jointly with her partners and individually to:
- Generate action against ignorance and poverty that perpetuate the exclusion of the youth and other vulnerable groups from social, economic, political, and community life.
- Plan, Design and Implement Programmes and/or Projects that empower the youth and other vulnerable communities to participate in the development process
- Mobilize citizens, governmental, and Non-Governmental Institutions; to adapt structures and/or create new ones that guarantee effective participation of the youth and other vulnerable communities in order to influence issues that affect their own lives.
- Undertake advocacy and lobbying of government and other bilateral and multilateral bodies on issues of concern in order to create a better environment for the inclusive development.
- improve the quality and effectiveness of public policy-making and implementation in light of the interests of the youth and other marginalized groups
improve the efficiency with which public and private resources are used to improve the quality of lives of, and increase opportunities for, the marginalized groups