HELP Adult Service's mission is to help individuals optimize their independence and quality of life
In 1982, several community leaders collaboratively started an outreach program, now known as HELP Adult Services, to help individuals optimize their independence and quality of life. Women and men who are frail, elderly, low-income and lack financial resources or unable to access services that they might need to remain safely in their homes are helped each year by caring staff and volunteers. With more than 30 years of providing services in the Omaha metropolitan area, eastern Nebraska and southwest Iowa, HELP Adult Services serves more than 9,200 individuals each year through two major programs: Respite Companionship and Health & medical Equipment Loan Program (H.E.L.P.). Our volunteers receive initial and ongoing training throughout their volunteer experience.
Volunteering can help you grow your career and grow your life. Check these volunteer opportunities out today and contact us for further information!
- Respite Companion (allows a full-time caregiver much-needed time away when our trained and caring volunteer spends two hours each week with the care recipient. This is a companionship volunteer opportunity only i.e. reading, conversation and board games types of activities. Volunteers do not provide medical or housekeeping services)
- Friend Connect (a trained and caring volunteer makes a weekly telephone call to 'check in & chat' with an individual who would like a friendly call to stay connected)
- Warehouse / Inventory of donated medical equipment (volunteers help clean, refurbish and inventory donated durable medical equipment that is later loaned to individuals who cannot otherwise afford the cost of much-higher priced retail equipment)
- Delivery of refurbished durable medical equipment (volunteers help staff deliver durable medical equipment, i.e. wheelchairs or hospital beds, for clients who need help getting those items home. Great opportunity to meet clients who need a low-cost solution to leasing durable medical equipment)
- Christmas stocking project / Snicker Sunday (volunteers sew and stuff stockings with Snickers and other packaged food items for individuals who are incarcerated during the holidays)
- The InCredible Couch Change Challenge (Friends + Couch + Loose Change + Group Picture + Social Media = A Lot of FUN and SUPPORT for a GREAT Cause! Pictures can be sent to Anthony@helpadultservices.org. and donations can be made online: www.helpadultservices.org. THEN challenge two of your friends to hold their own Incredible Couch Change Challenge!).