DPI was established in 2011 and focuses on providing expertise, combining research and practicable approaches to broaden bases for wider public involvement in promoting peace and democracy building.
Aims and Objectives:
- To contribute to the establishment of a structured public dialogue on peace and democracy building.
- To provide opportunities, in which different parties are able to draw on comparative studies, analyse and compare various mechanisms used to achieve positive results in similar cases.
- To support a public atmosphere of inclusion & frank, structured discussions whereby different parties share knowledge, ideas, concerns, suggestions and challenges in strengthening and building (either 'democratic accountability' or 'a more inclusive democracy')
- To support, and to strengthen collaboration between academics, civil society and policy-makers.
- To identify common priorities and develop innovative approaches to participate in and influence democracy-building.