The OR Movement
Israel's earliest pioneers envisioned the creation of a strong, dynamic nation united by a common spirit. A central part of this vision was the dream of populating Israel's Negev & Galilee regions. This is why David Ben-Gurion, Israel's first prime minister, made his home in Sde Boker in the Negev. "It is in the Negev," he once said, "that the creativity and pioneer vigor of Israel will be tested."
Six decades later, this Zionist dream remains mostly unfulfilled. Although the Negev & Galilee account for roughly 70% of Israel's land mass, they are home to less than 30% of the Israeli population. These regions offer tremendous potential for innovation and growth, as well as an opportunity to unite young, motivated Israelis behind one common goal: securing the future of Israel and the integrity of its borders.
The OR Movement was founded in 2002 by a group of young, idealistic Israelis dedicated to making this dream a reality. Moving south from Israel's central region in 1999, to establish Sansana the first Jewish community established in the 15 years prior to it, our founders settled there, experiencing firsthand the trials and rewards of life in Israel's sparsely populated areas. Driven by our nation's founding spirit and the need for lasting change, the OR Movement combines the pursuit of meaningful life with the most promising opportunities for investment, innovation, and economic growth. Through our intensive efforts to turn Israel's Negev & Galilee regions into an attractive place to live, we hope to increase the population in these regions by 600,000 individuals by 2020.
In over a decade of implementing innovative initiatives for the Negev and Galilee, the OR Movement has recorded the following achievements:
- Established 7 new towns, with 2 more currently in the works
- Successfully relocated 24,000 residents (6,000 families) to communities in the Negev and Galilee
- Assisted 30,000 households who have contacted CDNG
- Is supporting 8,000 families who are currently in the process of relocating
- Orchestrated the initiation and complete integration of 25 'Seed Groups' to the Negev and Galilee
- Facilitated over 50 community and public building projects including planning, construction and operation
- Forged fruitful government relationships, helping pass 17 government initiatives and decisions that provide incentives, benefits, and assistance for the Negev and Galilee
The OR Movement has received the following awards in recognition of these achievements:
- The Yigal Alon Award for Exemplary Pioneering Activities 2012
- The first ever Prime Minister's Award for Innovation and Initiatives 2010
- The Knesset Speaker's Award for Quality of Life 2009
Do you work for The OR Movement? Become an administrator