People first, disabilities second. Dreaming big and changing lives, one person at a time.
The mission of Horizons is to create and sustain person-centered opportunities for people with special needs where they live, learn, work and play.
- We see the whole person with a focus on competence and capacity. We specialize in finding the unexpected in people.
- We create options based on each person’s unique needs and preferences. We promote independence and success.
- We find solutions. We solve problems and overcome barriers.
- We respond to the changing needs of individuals, families, and our community.
- We build outcome-based teams, foster collaboration, cultivate professionals and celebrate accomplishments.
- We maintain supportive environments and renew them to exceed licensing requirements and state regulations.
- We maximize resources, embrace the challenges of creative fundraising, and exercise stewardship focused on a positive future.
Horizons began in 1979 as a summer camp for children with developmental disabilities. Today, Horizons supports over 1,600 adults and children annually by focusing on each person’s capacity and talents while responding to the changing needs of families, individuals and the community. In addition to Summer Camp and Weekends in the Country, Horizons provides supports to people at school (Educational Support Services), at home (Supported Living), and on the job (Supported Employment and Options).