CHAUTARFI MAHILA BIKASH SANSTHA
Welcome to Sarita's Safe Heaven!
Sarita's Safe Heaven Nepal is a non-profit, locally run organization that was established in 2008. Our mission is to provide the homeless and abandoned children of Nepal with shelter, food, healthcare and education. Read about our projects to learn about the different ways we are helping these children.
Sarita's Safe Heaven currently runs one orphanages in the Kathmandu valley and also provides financial support to children living at home but whose families are unable to meet the costs of sending them to school.
We have been blessed with support from our donors and volunteers and with your support we can continue to rescue children off the streets and provide them a brighter future. If you would like more information or if you have any question please let us know. We respond to all emails and inquiries promptly.
About Sarita's Safe Heaven
Sarita's Safe Heaven was founded in 2008 by a small group of Nepalese in order to improve and uplift the living standard of underprivileged children in Nepal.
Hereby, Sarita's Safe Heaven aims to help children that are spending their lives under the most miserable conditions and lack even the most basic support. The traditional caste system, unfair social structures, wide-spread illiteracy and the decade-long armed conflict in Nepal are the root causes for the hopeless situation of many children in all parts of the country. Sixty percent of Nepal's total population is living below the poverty line, making even a basic school education very expensive - too expensive for many families. These children live a life in poverty and often have to work in child labor, earning very little if not nothing. Especially parentless street children and due to their rightness situation are missing even the most basic support and so depend on begging and thievery; also they never experience love and affection and have no opportunities for a better future.
In order to grow up healthy, children do not only need material supply, they need an adequate and healthy environment. We at Sarita's Safe Heaven try to diminish children's plight in Nepal by taking strategic actions, and so to open them to a better future.
Headquartered in Kathmandu, Nepal's capital city, we first want to cover our children's basic needs. This includes shelter, food, clothing, healthcare and most importantly education.
In our opinion, education deserves special attention. We at Sarita's Safe Heaven believe that a solid school education is the right of all and not the privilege of few children. A good education is also needed in order to successfully fight discrimination of girls and women and child labor that still spreads throughout Nepal.
In March 2008 Sarita's Safe Heaven launched its educational support program for underprivileged children; which could officially start in June 2008 with the new Nepali school year. In June 2008, finally we celebrated the opening of our orphanage the Sarita's Safe Heaven Hostel in Samakhushi, Kathmandu, offering capacity for around 20 children.
Sarita's Safe Heaven is currently running its projects with funds from generous donors of the local community and with support from international sponsors, who contribute in cash as well as in kind and provide sponsorships for individual children. But our financial resources remain tightly limited, while the number of needy children is running into ten thousand.
The future of our country can be identified with the future of our children, and the future of our children itself is determined by their intellectual, social, spiritual and physical growth. The present situation of Nepal is alarming and is likely to have a long-term effect on an already fragmenting society. In this difficult environment, Sarita's Safe Heaven wants to serve as a home for the homeless and a school for the uneducated children of Nepal.
Sarita's Safe Heaven is registered (Registration No. 820/2008) with the Government of Nepal as a non-government organization. It is also duly affiliated with the Social Welfare Council (Registration No. 26972), the governing and monitoring body for all social organizations working in Nepal.
Sarita's Safe Heaven is a non-profit social organization.
Its main objectives are:
- To fulfill the basic needs of children under 15 every where in Nepal this includes accommodation, clothing, food, health and especially education.
- To provide a school scholarship for 30 new children every year.
- To create awareness among poor parents to the needs of their children.
- To target those children in special programs, who have been affected by domestic violence, civil war and other severe political and or social circumstances?
- To improve the abysmal situation of Nepali street children.
Thus to help to improve the general living conditions of children in Nepal.
In order to achieve its goals, Sarita's Safe Heaven is:
- Running orphanages, schools, hostels and child care centers in various parts of the country. Basic needs like food, shelter, clothing, healthcare and education at such facilities will be entirely taken of care by Sarita's Safe Heaven.
- Launching special initiatives and projects for underprivileged girls, orphans and displaced children from the poor and scheduled castes' families (dalit).
- Providing educational support and scholarships to those children who live with their families but lack financial resources for their education.
- Launching awareness campaigns to educate the parents of poor children.
- Working closely with private schools to create better opportunities for the children.
- Participating in researches and surveys to find out the root causes of children's plight in Nepal.
- Lobbying with the government and other related agencies for child rights in Nepal.
How you can help support this project
Sponsors, individuals and organizations can help break these children's vicious cycle of poverty by supporting them in a number of ways:
- Sponsoring one or more children by providing a lump sum fund or a regular monthly donation
- Donating clothes or education materials.
- Visiting our Sarita's Safe Heaven orphanages to teach, read and play with the children.
- Volunteering at the Sarita's Safe Heaven orphanages for an extended period, including living at the orphanages.
Your sponsoring of a child or general donation provides the children with accommodation in a family environment with the following benefits:
- Three meals a day
- Clothing, including school uniforms
- Education at an English Medium School (Boarding School)
- Additional optional tutoring in the morning
- Education materials
- Combined study room and library
- Indoor playroom
- Sports and games
- Educational tours at least once a year
- Celebration of traditional Nepali festivals
Sponsors will receive a quarterly progress report about the activities of the Sarita's Safe Heaven orphanages including:
- Visual documentary and photographs of the children
- Each child's educational progress report
- Reports and photographs of extra-curricular activities in the Sarita's Safe Heaven orphanages e.g. sports, singing, dancing, drawing, quiz etc.
- A financial report
- Any other information you request
- The annual cost of supporting a child in the Sarita's Safe Heaven orphanages is $900 USD per year Per kids. This covers everything the child will need in a given year. You can find the details of these costs