Housatonic Habitat for Humanity focuses on making a meaningful difference in the lives of qualified working families by promoting financial stability and self-sufficiency through ownership of affordable homes. Households often have limited assets with jobs that also have income caps.
By providing decent, affordable, and safe housing to qualified regional families (who earn approximately 66% of the median area income), Housatonic Habitat contributes to community revitalization in the greater Danbury region by creating homes that can transform a street and neighborhood and add value to the community. This process transitions families from renters to homeowners who pay taxes; it helps homeowners to stabilize family finances by having a fixed and affordable monthly mortgage obligation; and enables households to build equity for their future.
Housatonic Habitat provides a variety of services to the 16-town region it has served since 1991:
· A mortgage lender that provides loans for 30 years to under-served first-time home buyers who do not qualify for a traditional mortgage;
· A social service agency that mentors and counsels employed, asset limited, income constrained working families on financial literacy and homeownership skills as they apply for, and then buy, their first home from Housatonic Habitat;
· A real estate developer that works with local trades and business to build homes sold at cost that reflect significant savings through labor provided by volunteers, and materials gifted by trades, business, and individuals which are used in the project;
· A force for change by transforming derelict properties into affordable homes that contribute to the tax base, and provide work-force housing that enable qualified families to transition from renters to homeowners;
· A home improvement thrift store, which recycles and re-purposes home and construction goods/ materials which it sells to the public and building trades. ReStore revenue supports our affordable housing mission;
· A home repair service, which provides simple repairs to low-income homeowners and those aging in place. Fees are based on income and focus on preventive maintenance.
Housatonic Habitat for Humanity focuses on making a meaningful difference in the lives of qualified working families by promoting financial stability and self-sufficiency through ownership of affordable homes. Households often…