Portola and Excelsior Family Connections
Family Connections exists to develop strong, healthy families and to build thriving communities in the Portola and Excelsior neighborhoods. We provide opportunities for people of different backgrounds to work together cooperatively, sharing cultures, values, knowledge and resources.
Offering a cultural and programmatic “bridge” to improve the quality of life for the entire family, Family Connections’ programs address a breadth of family needs, starting at infancy, developing through childhood and adolescence, coming full circle to adulthood and parenthood, and continuing through grandparenthood. Over 30 affordable, high-quality programs are provided in English, Spanish, Cantonese and Vietnamese. We have learned that by working closely with parents and caregivers during the first few years of their children’s lives, we can identify and address potential and/or existing problems early on. This uniquely holistic approach allows us to have a profound impact on the lives of family members, working with them as they evolve through our programs.
Family Connections exists to serve the specific needs of the families in our neighborhoods. We work with residents to facilitate community building, organizing, address neighborhood concerns, and develop concrete solutions. Our direct services include:
- early childhood development programs
- pre-kindergarten classes
- educational, creative, and recreational support for elementary school children
- family literacy programming
- parent/caregiver education
- nutrition, health and safety programs
- family economic success and literacy workshops
- support groups
- community networking programs
- case management & family advocacy
- resource and referral assistance
- advocacy outside of the community to bring attention to the needs of our immigrant residents and ensure that these are recognized and addressed by city leaders