Pushp Niketan School, UP, India
Pushp Niketan School
Dhampur Sugar Mills
Pushp Niketan School is located in the town of Dhampur in the state of UP in India. It is situated in a beautiful campus, loved by children. It is visualized to be a world class model for progressive education with child centric education philosophy, pedagogies and processes. Here, we have established a non hierarchical, alternative school promoting excellence in learning and sound values in a safe, supporting and stimulating environment.
The School is a not for profit venture. It caters to the people residing in and around Dhampur town and rural areas. It is around ten years old now and we have classes from foundation till the tenth grade. This School was started as a pilot venture to bring in high quality thematic/inquiry based, child-centered education methodologies to small towns and rural settings in India. A great thought behind this project is "a lot is happening in the cities, not in small towns, lets join hands in raising the quality of life and education in small towns like Aurangabadr."
Our Mission: In the process of education, the school aids the spontaneous development of the mental, spiritual, emotional, psychic, physical, creative and artistic personality of the child, thus giving them an all round growth potential.
Our school is an extension of the student's home where care, love, good sense, discipline, humor, empathy and traditional values abound. It provides for growing children to grow harmoniously in an environment that respects each individual's space while sharing a family life experience. Here we nurture the varied multiple intelligences present in children and provide enough opportunity and freedom for expression and thus for love of learning to grow and lead to an explosion.
We lay a lot of importance on physical development through participation in sports. This promotes qualities like cheerfulness, comradeship, spirit, frankness, courage, emotional well being and paves the way to remove narrow feelings not suited to humanity. Sports has various other advantages like building up stamina, body flexibility, strength, grace, improving eye-hand co-ordination, cardio-vascular fitness and agility. We believe that every child is unique and has varied skills and interests in varied fields. This includes music, dance, art and craft. The teachers are the first to identify this and to help the child express and develop them.
The biggest impediment in learning, in leading and in living life fully is fear. Fear may be in the form of fear of authority, of the unknown, of failures and even fear of oneself. We therefore, encourage the questioning spirit and appreciate candor in relationships, both in children and teachers. This paves the way for creativity and 'initiative' to be instilled.
The theme/project based learning and child centered methodology of teaching facilitate this thoroughly, brought about through inquiry, dialogue, experimentation, discussions, outside classroom exposure and hands on experience. For this we ensure freedom of thought, freedom of expression, freedom of movement and freedom of choice, which paves the way for the development of strong will power and confidence in children.
There is a fair mix of freedom and discipline in school life. This is done to ensure development of students with balanced personalities. Discipline may be imposed which would ultimately take the form of self-responsibility that comes about through values, education and motivation. Discipline also implies respecting the norms of other cultures and accepting criticism in a positive manner. We thus encourage students to build co-operation and generate harmony amongst each other.
Teachers take care by providing children, counseling and high standards of safety and livability in the school. We also advice, counsel and mentor students on all round performance, personal issues and social guidance. A lot of training and opportunity is made available to teachers and students to assume leadership and service roles in the school and thus in the community to help realize their social responsibilities.
In imparting such an education stated above, we need to involve the community in the process and also enrich the community which the students represent. This is essential as change can only be brought about simultaneously in both places-community and school. It cannot take place in isolation…….
Vision Over a period of two years:
1. Initially establish a Teacher training institute in a very small scale, with a view to induct local teachers into the school and thus generate employment and awareness. Identify potential candidates, train them and increase the human resource of the town.
2. Start an English Institute parallel to the Teacher Training Institute, again at a very small scale initially. Later on turn this into a discussion and action forum for the youth of Dhampur and nearby villages. It can be turned into a club/association for various activities.
3. Build a pool of resource people to associate with the growth of the school by way of conducting workshops. Identify non commercial, small players in the field of yoga, meditation, art, music, dance, drama, sports, academics etc and invite them to enrich the lives of students, teachers, parents and the community at large when needed.
4. Network with NGOs to work on community development projects, with the school teachers and other local people as representatives.
5. Involve the staff of the institutes in the education process of the school and in community development in some way or the other by gaining their good will. Also involve the parents in the education process.
6. Try and bring about some changes in the mind set of people to look at education as a serious affair for boys and girls and also to understand the effectiveness of child centered methodology along with inquiry, thematic and project based learning. Bring about gender sensitivity and equality.
7. Study the feasibility of opening schools at other places of interest and slowly plan the process, capitalizing on the success gained at Dhampur. Meet potential teachers there and set a forum for interested stake holders.
8. Develop a vocational training centre with job oriented courses as the main feature.
9. Establish a model school and invite educationists and others interested to learn, take up research and share resources.
10. Build a team of self motivated teachers, who would work on their own and come up with innovative and creative ideas to improve the school and community.
11. Study and understand issues in the nearby villages related to education, gender, caste/class, political affiliations, culture, employment generation, downtrodden/poor, social factors. Identify any emerging trends in education and employment.
In the field of English Language teaching, English communication skills, Remedial teaching, Democratic Schools, Active leaning methods, Multiple intelligence, Activity based learning, Project based learning, Thematic learning, Special education, Skills/work education, Meditation/Yoga, Organic farming, Environment education, Leadership training, Sustainable living, Social work/ Rural development(community, action & service), Teacher training, Music, Dance, Sports & games, Theater, Art and Craft. In the process, we would like to give potential volunteers from Europe or Latin America a safe and rich platform to pursue their interest and learn from diverse communities and cultures in villages and rural India.
Excellent English communication skills(written and spoken), expertise in one field mentioned above, good interpersonal relationships, ability to multitask in varied fields and adapt to the Indian culture.
Furnished accommodation, monthly stipend, Breakfast and lunch at School on working days, harmonious family atmosphere, air travel(direct route minimum economy fare) & visa expense reimbursement on joining and working for at least six months, transportation to/from the airport on arrival and departure, local transportation in the town, medical facilities available at School and a rich cultural experience.
For more information please contact: Rajesh Ranjit on Mob: +91 9586763774 or email: email@example.com