World Resources Institute
The World Resources Institute's mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth's environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Every project undertaken by WRI seeks to contribute to one or more of the following goals:
- People and ecosystems. Reverse rapid degradation of ecosystems and assure their capacity to provide humans with needed goods and services.
- Climate change. Protect the global climate system from further harm due to emissions of greenhouse gases and help humanity and the natural world adapt to unavoidable climate change.
- Markets and Enterprise. Harness markets and enterprise to expand economic opportunity and protect the environment.
- Access. Guarantee public access to information and decisions regarding natural resources and the environment.
- Institutional excellence. Support and enhance WRI's ability to achieve results.
In all of its policy research and work with institutions, WRI tries to build bridges between ideas and action, meshing the insights of scientific research, economic and institutional analyses, and practical experience with the need for open and participatory decision-making. WRI's work is carried out by a 250 member interdisciplinary staff augmented by a network of advisors, collaborators, partners, and cooperating institutions in more than 50 countries.