Society for Wilderness Stewardship
The Society for Wilderness Stewardship is the national membership organization dedicated to informing, uniting, and supporting the extensive community groups and individuals actively engaged in stewardship of America’s National Wilderness Preservation System. Our individual members include a wide range of people interested in the stewardship of wilderness: researchers, managers, educators, government and private conservation workers, volunteers, students, business owners, and American citizens. This community of professionals shares a strong passion for wilderness and a deeply-rooted sense of the intrinsic value of its benefits. At the Society, we are committed to uniting these communities to explore and address wilderness stewardship issues. The Society for Wilderness Stewardship is a registered not-for-profit organization under Section 501(c)3 of the US Internal Revenue code, and all contributions are fully tax-deductable.
Mission Statement Our mission is to advance the profession of wilderness stewardship, science, and education to ensure the life-sustaining benefits of wilderness.
Vision Statement Our vision is that the values and benefits of the National Wilderness Preservation System are understood, treasured, and preserved by all people and that stewards of wilderness have the resources to ensure continuation of its benefits.
Goals We achieve our mission and vision through pursuit of special projects and activities designed to meet the following goals:
- Professionalize the discipline of wilderness management and stewardship through career development and networking.
- Improve the practice of wilderness stewardship by fostering development, delivery, and application of state-of-the-art science and best management practices.
- Build the capacity of agencies, organizations, and volunteers to support the National Wilderness Preservation System through collaboration and partnerships.
- Increase the resources needed to ensure an enduring resource of wilderness for present and future generations.
- Advance public awareness and support of the life-sustaining benefits of wilderness.
- Engage the next generation of wilderness stewards by supporting the expansion of educational, experiential, and professional development opportunities.