Springfield Prep Charter School
Springfield Prep is a new K-8 charter school (opening with grades K and 1 in 2015) working to close the achievement gap and provide all students with a world-class, college preparatory education.
As a public charter school, we have the freedom to be strategic and innovative to provide the best possible education for our scholars.
What Makes Us Unique?
- Small school with a safe and structured environment. A small student body and a structured school day provide scholars with a safe, focused learning environment.
- Two teachers in every classroom. Two full-time teachers in all K-4 classrooms ensure that students get the individual attention they deserve.
- Longer school day. Our extended school day (7:45 am to 4 pm) provides the instructional time needed to close existing achievement gaps and offer a rich and diverse curriculum.
- High performing teachers supported by high impact coaching. Our teachers, selected through a rigorous process, receive weekly one-on-one coaching sessions and targeted professional development.
- Positive, joyful school culture. School culture will be simultaneously structured and warm, rigorous and fun. Instruction will be infused with joy, laughter, and celebration.
- Emphasis on literacy. Our intensive literacy program develops fundamental and advanced reading skills so scholars have the tools to succeed in all subject areas and develop a passion for reading.
- Character instruction. Lessons on values such as respect, integrity, and determination help students become responsible scholars and citizens.
- Data driven model to drive results. In all areas – from academic performance to operations – we use data to track our performance and get results.
- Close partnership with families. Daily communication with families, frequent opportunities for parent involvement, and an open-door policy leverage the parent-school partnership to help our children to succeed.
Why Work at Springfield Prep?
- Be a Founder. Help design, lead, and execute a gap-closing urban charter school. As a growing school that will add a grade each year, there are tremendous opportunities for growth.
- Lead Education Reform 2.0. The next wave of education reformers are needed in a small city like Springfield, which has one of the highest rates of low income students in the state (close to 90%) and where only 1 in 3 students read at grade level in the critical third grade year.
- We Take Teacher Development Seriously. Our two-teacher model in all K–4 classrooms, instruction in Teach Like a Champion® strategies, and weekly one-on-one coaching sessions will help you become a game-changing teacher.
- Urban Education, Western Mass Quality of Life. Found a gap-closing school by day and enjoy the hills, woods, and culture of the Pioneer Valley by night and weekend. Springfield, Northampton, Amherst, Longmeadow, and Hartford are just a few examples of the vibrant and affordable communities that Springfield Prep teachers can call home.