The roots of Joseph’s Home were planted in 1851 when the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine (CSA) arrived in Cleveland, Ohio from France to serve as the city’s first public health nurses. The first CSA Sisters quickly went to work serving the health and educational needs of Cleveland’s most impoverished and vulnerable residents. Over the past nearly 160 years, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine have remained dedicated to addressing the root causes of poverty and meeting the physical, spiritual, emotional and collective needs of the communities they serve.
In the late 1990’s, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine developed a vision for their New Ministries, “to provide health, education and human service programs, which will continue the 150-year mission and ministry of the Sisters.”Joseph’s Home grew out of this vision.A group of CSA Sisters, led by founding Sisters Joan Gallagher, CSA and Regina Fierman, CSA, identified an unmet community need in Greater Cleveland for a safe, supportive environment for homeless individuals transitioning from local hospitals and other social service agencies following a period of illness or surgery. With a 150-year legacy of responding to the unmet needs of the community’s most vulnerable residents, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine opened the doors of Joseph’s Home in June 2000.
Over 400 men have passed through these doors of Joseph’s Home and out into the world with a renewed sense of self, a place to call home, stabilized health conditions, and educational and job opportunities. Each year, approximately 40 to 50 men are served, with a capacity of 11 men at any given time.