Hopeworks 'N Camden
Hopeworks empowers youth to identify and develop their D.R.E.A.M.S. (Dynamic, Realizable Efforts to Attain and Maintain Success) and own their future.
We do this by enhancing the lives of inner-city Camden youth. We expand the learning opportunities available to them, point the way to a future full of hope, and work together to create that future. The heart of our program is technology training, which we provide in a safe, respectful, and celebratory atmosphere. We train our youth in state-of-the art computer applications: Web site design, geographic information services (GIS), computer networking and repair, and video.
Through the Hopeworks program, we seek in particular:
- To reduce the high school dropout rate for African-American and Hispanic youth in Camden, New Jersey.
- To create hope for the future, good-paying jobs, business development, and educational opportunities for Camden’s young people: specifically for African-American and Hispanic youth between the ages of 17 and 25 who have dropped out of school. Such a mission is essential because, in our city:
- 8,000 young people have dropped out of high school.
- At the two public high schools, the high school dropout rate is nearly 70%.
- 34% of the city’s young people are unemployed.
- Nearly 50% of the city’s young people live in poverty.