Community Health Awareness Council
Each year CHAC serves more than 7,500 local youth and individuals at our clinic and at 31 school campuses. Our programs address a variety of emotional problems affecting children, teens, adults and families. Many programs are designed to protect young people from high–risk behaviors such as alcohol or illicit drug abuse, violence, and premature sexual activity, while building personal assets such as school success, valuing diversity, maintaining good health, and the ability to delay gratification; all of which will help insure that they have the greatest chance for success in life.
Statement of Philosophy
CHAC believes in the value of each individual, the importance of the family, and the necessity of community.
The Community Health Awareness Council exists to provide alternatives to self-destructive behavior and to help create healthy lives for the children and families of Mountain View, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, and surrounding communities.
Our Core Values
- Empathy – All who come to CHAC for assistance are treated with dignity, respect, and empathy. Personal self-esteem is encouraged as well as respect for others.
- Healthy Families – CHAC's services focus on developing healthy families, including the growth and stability of each member and the family as a whole.
- Healthy Lifestyles – CHAC promotes healthy lifestyles through a comprehensive approach to mental health. Counseling, psychotherapy, and community awareness education are offered along with programs for the prevention and intervention of substance abuse.
- Availability of Services – CHAC is committed to offering programs and services to children, youth, and families without regard to their ability to pay.
- Diversity – CHAC values the diversity of the communities served and does not discriminate.
- Collaboration – CHAC believes that collaboration with other organizations is needed to meet the complex needs of our communities. Innovative and creative ideas are always welcome.
- Professionalism – CHAC expects a high degree of professionalism and integrity from staff, board members, and intern counselors. Open communication and willing cooperation are used in day-to-day operations and problem-solving.
- Fiscal Responsibility – Fiscal responsibility is CHAC's standard in every endeavor.