Time for a roundup of interesting news and resources that we’ve been buzzing about.
- When it comes to fundraising, we often think of foundations and individual donations. However, many nonprofits are changing how they raise money, looking to venture capital and for-profit ventures for support. Join the discussions happening at the Chronicle Philanthropy, Freelancers Union, and our other blog Idealists in Action.
- Had a difficult time getting work done during last week’s heat wave? You’re not alone. Drake Baer at Fast Company gives three reasons why summer makes us so unproductive.
- The social change world is buzzing about Detroit. Check out this slideshow from Huffington Post Impact of nonprofits serving Detroit and explore opportunities and organizations in Detroit from Idealist.
- 99u explains why having a focused strategy leads great companies and individuals toward success:
By focusing on fewer things, you reduce the surface area where your forces (time, money, people) are applied, creating greater pressure without needing more resources. That’s how nimble teams compete with the Goliaths of their industry, having an outsized impact in a resource-constrained world.
How do you go about developing your own strategy? Ask yourself these four questions.
- Looking for your dream job takes a lot of time, dedication, and resources. Hila Mehr at Brazen Life offers 3 questions to ask yourself that will help increase self-awareness, narrow your job search, and evaluate your opportunities.
- Cafe Impact interviews founders and CEOs of various nonprofits about how to start your social change career. Watch the video for advice from professionals in the field.