Roots of Success
Roots of Success is an empowering environmental literacy and job readiness curriculum that prepares youth and adults from underserved communities for opportunities in the green economy, and to improve conditions in their communities.
Our mission is to ensure that all people have the knowledge and skills needed to accelerate the transition to a more equitable, healthy and sustainable society.
In 2011, 98% of the students who enrolled in our classes were living in poverty, 93% were unemployed, and 30% were previously incarcerated. Upon completing the Roots of Success course, 86% reported that they were in a better position to secure green jobs, 85% felt their academic skills were greatly enhanced, and 89% demonstrated very good to excellent retention of all material on post-course quizzes.
In 7 years, Roots of Success has:
- Prepared over 18,000 youth and adults for economic opportunities in the green economy
- Trained more than 1,700 teachers in the United States to foster environmental literacy
- Programs offering Roots of Success have been able to place nearly half of their graduates in jobs.
- Produced 7 customized versions
- Supported hundreds of education and workforce programs in the United States, Puerto Rico and the UK
Roots of Success graduates are working in every sector of the green economy, including: solar design and installation companies, reclaimed and recycled building supply firms, green builders, carpenters, contractors, thrift and secondhand stores, urban farms and community gardens, green appliance sales and installation firms, municipal parks and recreation departments, waste management and recovery firms, green transportation companies, social and environmental justice organizations, energy auditing and energy efficiency firms, and environmental education organizations.