Happy Read Across America Day!
We’re an organization of bookworms and bibliophiles, and as such, we’re sharing our love of literature with you by featuring seven organizations who are promoting literacy and hiring, too!
Behind the Book, New York, NY
- Behind the Book promotes literacy and a reading culture in underserved New York City public schools by bringing authors and their books into individual classrooms to build literacy skills and create a community of lifelong readers and writers.
Harlem Village Academies, New York, NY
- Deeply committed to the idea of progressive education, Harlem Village Academies is an urban K-12 public school district striving to support students in becoming intellectually sophisticated, wholesome in character, avid lifelong readers and writers, independent thinkers, and compassionate individuals who make a meaningful contribution to society.
Library Foundation of Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- The Library Foundation of Los Angeles supports and enriches the capabilities, resources, and services of the Los Angeles Public Library through fundraising, advocacy, and innovative programming.
Literacy Coalition of Palm Beach County, Boynton Beach, FL
- The mission of the Literacy Coalition of Palm Beach County is to improve the quality of life in the local community by promoting and achieving literacy with the goal of ensuring that every child and every adult in Palm Beach County can read.
Make the Road New York, New York, NY
- Make the Road New York is a membership-based, community organization working to promote economic justice, equity and opportunity for all New Yorkers through community and electoral organizing, strategic policy advocacy, leadership development, youth and adult education, and legal and support services.
Reading is FUNdamental, Pittsburgh, PA
- Reading Is FUNdamental Pittsburgh provides children with access to self-selected books, creating positive environments that motivate children to develop a lifelong love of reading, and engaging families in literacy practices in the home.
SKIP - Supporting Kids in Peru, Trujillo, La Libertad, Peru
- SKIP is a nonprofit organization helping economically disadvantaged children realize their right to an education. They work with children, teenagers and families to promote quality education and to foster the capacity of children and families to be the principal agents of change in their own lives.
Clicked one of these organizations only to find that they’re no longer hiring? To keep you apprised of the latest in social-impact opportunities, all listings on Idealist.org have a pre-determined expiration date.
If you’ve missed the boat on opportunities with any of the above organizations, don’t forget to explore current search results for jobs related to literacy, books, and reading.
Did you enjoy this post? There's plenty more where this came from! Subscribe here for updates.