Community Tax Aid, Inc.
- District of Columbia
Community Tax Aid (CTA) provides taxpayer education, free federal and state income tax preparation and represents our clients whose returns are questioned by the IRS or state tax agencies free of charge.
CTA needs volunteers to help low-income workers complete their federal and state income tax forms, provide administrative and operational support at tax sites, and provide translation assistance at locations Washington, Maryland and Virginia. Training (to take place in January) is required for all volunteers and tax preparers have to pass the IRS tax law certification test. Volunteers will have the opportunity to assist taxpayers at clinics open weekdays, weeknights and weekends. For more information, please contact our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CTA provides thousands of low-income taxpayers with professional tax assistance each year. Program volunteers:
- help low-income workers to receive the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), a refundable federal tax credit worth over $4,000, as well as state EITCs.
- help working families receive the Child Tax Credit and Child and Dependent Care Credit.
- help seniors receive the tax exemptions they are due.
- help struggling students and families to claim education credits.
We need volunteers for the following positions:
- Client Coordinators: are an important key to quality client experience and efficiency at our tax sites. Client Coordinators ensure that taxpayers have brought all documents needed to prepare their tax return and that they qualify for free tax assistance. Client Coordinators perform an initial screening for eligibility and help clients start the required intake documents. After the returns are completed, Client Coordinators review outcomes with the taxpayers, provide the taxpayers with copies of their completed returns, and ensure that all their questions are answered.
- Tax Preparers: Interview customers and prepare their federal and state income tax returns. Experienced managers will be available at each tax assistance location to answer volunteers' questions and concerns, review each tax return and provide support.
- Greeter: (needed at some sites) welcome clients and assist them by orienting them to the process at the tax site. Greeters also work with the Site Coordinators to manage the flow of clients through the sites.