School for Community Learning
School for Community Learning is a small, independent school located in Indianapolis, IN. We have a non-traditional, progressive school model. We emphasize socially minded education and sustainable practices. Our students (kindergarten through 8th grade) learn to be critical thinkers about the issues that impact their communities, and decide how they want to impact these issues. They do all of this while receiving a quality education. Our learning community thrives on the gifts, talents, and capabilities that our families, students and staff bring to school each day. We believe strongly that both our similarities and our differences help forge a strong community. Our school is economically and racially diverse and our tuition structure helps families across socio-economic groups attend our school. Approximately 86% of our families live at or below the federal poverty line.
Our mission is to discover, recognize and nurture the talents and gifts of each child, graduating students with the capacity, knowledge and social awareness to be actively engaged in their communities.
The following core beliefs guide our practice:
- We know our students well, and tailor our approaches to meet their aspirations and needs.
- We help students achieve academic success by encouraging curiosity, investigation and critical thought.
- We strive to end, in our school, the statistically predictive barriers that race, class, gender and special capacities have on student success and engagement.
- We instill social responsibility and personal wellness in our culture and curriculum, with an emphasis on sustainability.
- We teach through a lens of interconnectedness, helping our students know themselves, others, and the world around them.
- We recognize and honor the diverse histories and experiences of our students, their families and the broader school community.
- We value kindness, honesty and trustworthiness as crucial building blocks of character.