The Oak Hill Cemetery Historic Preservation Foundation
THE OAK HILL CEMETERY PRESERVATION FOUNDATION MISSION
The purpose of the OAK HILL PRESERVATION FOUNDATION is to secure funding for the long-term preservation of this unique cemetery. Specifically, the mission of the OAK HILL CEMETERY PRESERVATION FOUNDATION is three-fold:
To preserve the Oak Hill Cemetery’s Nineteenth Century Romantic Garden Park as a Publicly Accessible part of the Georgetown Community and the City of Washington. Noted Nineteenth Century architect and garden designer Andrew Jackson Downing designed the Oak Hill Cemetery. It includes extensive drainage structure, roads and pathways, ancient trees, landscape variety, and a collection of monumental art and mausoleums, many over 150 years old.
To preserve the historic structures located at the cemetery. These structures include:
Family monuments and mausoleums built at the zenith of nineteenth century funeral design for noted Washington families.
The Renwick Chapel, named for its designer, James Renwick, Jr. noted Nineteenth Century architect and designer. It is one of only two examples of gothic chapels remaining in Washington DC. Its non-denominational design is used for community meetings, funeral services and wedding ceremonies.
The Oak Hill Cemetery Gatehouse, located at the 30th street entry to the cemetery. The structure was built in the 1850’s and underwent two additions by 1870:Oone to add space to the office and living quarters, and another to add a bell tower which houses a bell used to toll for funerals and other times.
The distinctive iron fence, gates, and supporting structures located along the 30th street boundary of the cemetery. This 800 foot-long structure was designed by James Renwick and constructed in the manner used by ironworks in the nineteenth century. The stone pillars are constructed from the same sandstone from Seneca Quarry used at the Smithsonian Castle, also a Renwick design.
To preserve the records of interments, lot purchases and transfers, and other family information of importance. These records, which commenced in 1849, are a genealogical resource and embody significant history of the Georgetown Community and the City of Washington.