Widows and Orphans Alive Community(WOAC) is a registered Christian community organization with the aim of empowering vulnerable widows, orphans, young single mothers and street girls. WOAC was founded in 2011 by Cleophas Solomon and later fully registered under the Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Development in Wareng District in 2012 as a community based organization running its programs in the slums and rural areas regardless of their religious affiliation.
WOAC exists to act out and make real an ongoing structure to alleviate the extreme poverty faced by widows and vulnerable by providing funding, training to meet basic food, shelter, and safety needs, while creating opportunities and resources that enable and empower widows, orphans and vulnerable single mothers to establish their own self-sufficiency and independence, regardless of religious affiliation
· To uplift widows, orphans, single mothers and street girls from personal and social struggle to a place of appreciation, dignity and self-sustainment
·To mediate on behalf of disadvantaged widows, orphans, street girls and single mothers on civil/human rights and social deprivation
· To provide a platform of linkage to health, educational, social and economic improvement opportunities through partnerships with likeminded institutions and programs
· To conduct civic education on HIV/AIDS, human rights, gender, democracy and good governance among the general population
· To provide care and support to those affected and infected with HIV/AIDS including people with HIV/AIDS
· To promote positive youth, women and child development through counseling, life skills leadership and entrepreneurship development.
· To assist in schooling of orphans especially in the first & second cycle institutions, and where necessary in tertiary institutions
· To provide Christian counseling and formation of bible study group in the community.
Our Empowerment Programs:
A. Economic Empowerment
The program entails trainings in Micro-business management, livelihood development skills, baking & saving, access to Micro-Loans, and training on entrepreneurship, agribusiness, and fireless cooker among others
B. Christian Counselling
The program entails one on one Christian counseling, spiritual growth, member’s need assessment, street girls rehabilitation and mentorship
C. Education Program
The program entails provision of education materials for orphans and vulnerable children in the community, vocational training for street girls and young single mothers, capacity building for vulnerable widows, sports and talent development.
D. Community health and hygiene
The program entails campaigns against water borne diseases, HIV/AIDs and Malaria, Provision of hygiene products to widows, orphans, street girls and young single mothers (Soap, tooth paste, tooth brush, sanitary towels etc), environment conservations (tree planting, collection of garbage and use of solar energy) among others.
E. Children and Women advocacy
The program entails mediating on behalf of disadvantaged widows, orphans, street girls and single mothers on civil/human rights and social deprivation and conducting civic education on human rights, gender, democracy and good governance among the general population
Widows and Orphans Alive Community(WOAC) is a registered Christian community organization with the aim of empowering vulnerable widows, orphans, young single mothers and street girls. WOAC was founded in 2011 by Cleophas Solomon and later…