The UrbanSoph Initiative (TUSI) is an experiential program empowering a city’s children and youth through knowledge equity. TUSI cultivates children and youth’s ability to contribute to their community by introducing them to their cultural, environmental, historical, physical, political, and social surroundings.
What We Do:
The UrbanSoph Initiative (TUSI) - Urban: relating to cities / Soph: wisdom - is an experiential program empowering a city’s children and youth through knowledge equity. TUSI accomplishes this by introducing them to their cultural, environmental, historical, physical, political, and social surroundings.
TUSI believes that knowledge of the “bigger picture” will provide children and youth (Pioneers) with the opportunity to become self-empowered to achieve their full potential. Through interactions with their cultural, environmental, historical, physical, political, and social surroundings, they will engage in seven program areas “Meaningful Experiences”:
- Activities: Pioneers will engage in physical activities that shape their disposition and perspective. These are activities that do not typically get accomplished at home, during school or at a community center. More
- Behind-the-Scenes Exchanges: It is within this area of TUSI programming that Pioneers experience things that the public rarely sees! Pioneers will be lead on tours and excursions, behind-the-scenes, at various establishments and operations throughout Boston. They will experience people’s jobs through their eyes and personal stories. While some tours are available to the general public, those for TUSI Pioneers will be more in depth, informative and interactive! More
- Civil Service Opportunities: CSOs are activities that engage Pioneers in hands-on volunteer based experiences. Volunteering time and energy encourages positive social and personal growth. The value gained from participating in such activities is immeasurable. More
- Dialogues (Distinguished Citizens): TUSI’s mission is to provide young Pioneers with a wealth of knowledge and wisdom. An essential part of this information comes through socially responsible, culturally influenced, and historically-based discussions with some of the most influential people in your city. These citizens are those who have a lesson or tale to share, a success story or advice on how to overcome adversity. More
- Enrichments: This program area encompasses a breadth of fundamentals that are intended to enlighten Pioneers about all the things that their city offers. This includes visiting historical homes, statues & monuments, museums, galleries and seasonal events & festivals. More
- Explorations: Much of the traveling done by the Pioneers during each Initiative includes walking through various neighborhoods in their city. It is at this point that they will see the city through eyes of the past, present and future. Trained Scholars will be offering historical and new information about structures, waterways, streets and parks. Celebrity docents will make appearances as well! More
- Victuals: TUSI Pioneers will be dining each day at historically and culturally significant eateries throughout the city. During this time, Pioneers will be educated on the history of the restaurant and the various cultures and cuisines. More