In the mid-1980s, the public housing community faced a crisis. Insurance companies did not want to provide coverage. They considered public housing authorities a bad risk and raised premiums to unaffordable levels.
In 1985, the Council of Large Public Housing Authorities (CLPHA) held a meeting in Chicago, Illinois to find a solution. After two years of studies, surveys, and meetings, that solution emerged: Housing Authority Risk Retention Group, Inc. (HARRG).
Over time, HARRG evolved from a single risk retention group into a family of companies that provides a full line of coverage and related services under the umbrella company, HAI Group. HAI Group is made up of 10 companies including:
- Housing Authority Risk Retention Group, Inc. (HARRG)
- Housing Authority Property Insurance, A Mutual Company (HAPI)
- Housing Enterprise Insurance Company, Inc. (HEIC)
- Housing Authority Insurance, Inc. (HAI)
- Housing Investment Group, Inc. (HIG)
- Housing Telecommunications, Inc. (HTI)
- Housing Insurance Services, Inc. (HIS)
- Satellite Telecommunications, Inc. (STI)
- Public and Affordable Housing Research Corporation (PAHRC)
- Housing Systems Solutions, Inc. (HSS)
Do you work for HAI Group? Become an administrator