The Winston-Salem Human Relations Commission / Human Relations Department (WSHRC/HRD) educates, provides, facilitates, promotes, anticipates, studies, and recommends programs, projects, feedback, and actions for the elimination of discrimination in any and all fields of human relationships. Human Relations also works with youth and college students to better the quality of life in Winston-Salem.
(1) Study problems of discrimination in any or all fields of human relationship and encourage fair treatment and mutual understanding among all ethnic groups in the city;
(2) Promote equality of opportunity for all citizens;
(3) Provide channels of communication among all ethnic groups;
(4) Encourage the employment of qualified people of all ethnic groups;
(5) Encourage youth to become better trained and qualified for employment opportunities;
(6) Anticipate and discover those practices most likely to create animosity and unrest among racial and ethnic groups and by consultation seek a solution as these problems arise or are anticipated;
(7) Hold such meetings as the commission may deem necessary or proper to assist in carrying out its functions;
(8) Make recommendations to the city council for action it deems necessary for the furtherance of harmony among racial and ethnic groups in the city;
(9) Perform duties consistent with general law as may be assigned it from time to time by the city council;
(10) Perform such other duties as necessary to enforce the powers assigned it in accordance with Article IV, the Fair Housing Ordinance of the City of Winston-Salem, of Chapter 38 of the City Code; and
(11) Facilitate partnerships with fair housing and cultural community organizations to further the purpose of the commission.
The nature and the extent of its policies and programs are determined and set by the commission and shall be implemented within accepted policies and procedures of the city.
The Winston-Salem Human Relations Commission / Human Relations Department (WSHRC/HRD) educates, provides, facilitates, promotes, anticipates, studies, and recommends programs, projects, feedback, and actions for the elimination of…