Florida Division of Emergency Mangement Internship Program
The Florida Division of Emergency Management (FDEM) Internship Program provides students with a unique opportunity to apply classroom skills and theory to real life work situations. This hands-on program is designed to strengthen fundamental emergency management concepts and develop the confidence and skills of the next generation to prepare them for future employment opportunities.
As an intern, participants are expected to employ their skills and abilities to contribute to the objectives of their assigned host organization. Our internships provide exposure to industry professionals and promote career development. To support that endeavor, interns will be placed based on interests and specific project availability.
Participants can obtain valuable in-depth experience in emergency management and other related fields. In addition, interns will:
- Work with a national leader in the field of emergency management
- Contribute to innovative projects
- Get relevant experience for resume building
- Develop confidence walking into an interview with numerous examples to use
- Obtain a greater understanding of career possibilities and areas of interest
- Gain marketability for employment opportunities after graduation
Internships are available with any of our partners throughout the state of Florida. The Internship Program runs throughout the year parallel to the semester cycle. Offerings are available during spring, summer and fall semesters.
- Spring (January to May)
- Summer (June to August)
- Fall (September to December)
All participants are expected to intern for a minimum of 15 hours a week for the entire term of the program. Specific schedules will vary according to the position.
Intern responsibilities and tasks vary by location and can include conducting research, plan development/review, attending meetings, training and exercise development, grant administration and more. Students will be connected with an on-site supervisor for guidance and support.
While interns are distributed throughout the state, those that are located at our headquarters will have an opportunity to unite for scheduled events including meeting senior leadership and discussing each other’s experiences. Some of the recurring events include:
- Regular Lunch & Learns with special guests from within the emergency management field.
- FEMA Region IV Tour
- Leon County Emergency Operations Center Tour
- Capital Area American Red Cross Chapter Tour
The Division of Emergency Management Internship Program is an unpaid program. However, we offer college credit for participation in this investment toward your future.
To apply, applicants must be enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- A local preference will be given for all intern positions.
- Students must be available for an in-person interview.
Internship candidates must also have an understanding of emergency management which may be demonstrated by the completion of FEMA Independent Study (IS) Courses: 100, 200, 700 and 800. This can be found at: http://training.fema.gov/is/crslist.asp?page=all
A complete application package must include:
- Internship application http://www.floridadisaster.org/interns/documents/State%20App06-13.pdf
- Cover letter
Submit the materials listed above to:
Academic Liaison and Internship Coordinator
Florida Division of Emergency Management
Visit: www.floridadisaster.org/interns for more information.