NC Division of Public Health Injury and Violence Prevention Branch
A North Carolina free from injuries and violence where people can live to their full potential.
Define and address the major statewide issues of injury and violence prevention by:
- Facilitating development and implementation of a statewide strategic plan for injury and violence prevention.
- Facilitating a comprehensive, statewide approach to injury and violence prevention through collaboration.
- Maintaining a statewide injury prevention program that includes data collection, surveillance, education, and effective prevention strategies.
Our programs provide funding, training, and/or technical assistance to local fire departments, local rape prevention agencies, school-based or linked health centers, and others to reduce the incidence of injury and violence in communities across the state.
Current branch surveillance and prevention activities include:
- North Carolina Youth Suicide Prevention Taskforce
- The North Carolina Violent Death Reporting System (N.C. VDRS)
- Get Alarmed, North Carolina!
- Rape Prevention and Education (RPE)
- EMPOWER Program (Enhancing and Making Programs and Outcomes Work to End Rape)
- Preventing Deaths from Unintentional Poisoning and Drug Overdose
- Surveillance of Injury