The mission of M.S. 88 is to develop the core values students need to develop themselves inward and outward. Its three houses, School of Media Arts & Technology (SMART), School for Medical & Health Careers (Medical), and School for Integrated Studies through the Arts (SISTA), provide students with supportive communities and the necessary emotional and academic support so that students can think for themselves, problem solve, and add value to their lives and to the world in which they live. Our work as a school is supported by these six tenets.
1. The core values are the foundation for living and for the betterment of life. They are embedded in curriculum, assessment, instruction, school culture, the community, and student voice. Everything we do embodies the core values.
2. Critical thinking is essential for the development of the core values.
3. Civic engagement frames the enactment of the core values in a meaningful way for students and adults.
4. Formative assessment and feedback support responsive and individualized learning. Until we know where students are at, what they need, and where they are going, we cannot be responsive.
5. Projects engage students in authentic problems and issues in society and provide them with opportunities to apply knowledge and skills. Projects tap different learning modalities and promote multiple ways of demonstrating understanding.
6. Adult development allows teachers to understand themselves and each other as thinkers and as professionals. It is essential for effective communication and collaboration.
To realize its mission, Middle School 88 has partnered with universities and other private and public organizations to offer a balanced academic program, as well as enrichment and after-school programs such as drama, music, dance, fine arts; student government; sports and many other activities. The house structure creates a supportive and collaborative relationship between students and staff in settings, which promote student autonomy and agency and the belief that they can improve the world.
The mission of M.S. 88 is to develop the core values students need to develop themselves inward and outward. Its three houses, School of Media Arts & Technology (SMART), School for Medical & Health Careers (Medical), and School for…